Monday, October 26, 2009

Best cabbage ever


Cabbage is not the sexiest of ingredients, I'll admit it. But I love cabbage. I love its texture when it's been cooked just the right amount of time (i.e. not boiled to death), just lightly toothsome, and the slightly sweet flavor it develops. I'll vouch for cabbage.

But there's no convincing to be done with this dish. This is seriously the best cabbage I've ever had. Hands down. It comes from Bryant Terry, whose vegan soul style, as I've said before, I really like.

Around here barbecue joints often serve cabbage cooked in pork fat. This is Terry's re-interpretation of the dish. To "make up" for not using pork fat, he uses mustard seeds, pepper flakes, and a little sugar. I put the verb in the previous sentence in scare quotes because really we're not making up for anything here; this cabbage is better than any I've had, animal products or no. And for this one, I actually followed the recipe and don't intend to change it. So simple, yet the result is much more than the sum of its parts. Try it.


"Fried" Cabbage
Adapted from Bryant Terry's Vegan Soul Kitchen


Quarter, core, and slice into thin ribbons a smallish head of cabbage (about 2 pounds).

In a large saute pan, over medium heat combine 2 tbsp. olive oil, 2 tsp. mustard seeds, 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes, 1 tsp. sugar, and 1/2 tsp. salt. Cook, stirring, until seeds begin to pop after a couple minutes.

Add the cabbage and cooks for 4-5 minutes until it begins to wilt.
Add water, stir, cover, and cook another 4-5 minutes, until water is mostly evaporated.

Voila!

1 comment:

  1. Mustard seeds, cumin seeds, pepper flakes and a little tumeric (plus salt) is a take on an east indian dish I have been doing for years. Try it. Same thing works with kale and other hard greens. Also try adding some small chopped potatoes to the dish. They will cook just fine with the cabbage.

    ReplyDelete