Thursday, January 29, 2009

Secret Ingredients



Ok so they're not exactly secret, but I wanted to share some of the more unusual ingredients that I put in pretty much everything. The reason they might be called secret is that I often don't use them in amounts where you can discern their individual flavors, but they all add a depth and complexity to dishes that would be missing without them. Which is not to say I don't use these ingredients as pronounced flavors at times - I most certainly do - but more often I will use just a little but in places where they may not be expected. So, here are a few of these crucial ingredients:

  • Chipotle
No one saw that one coming right? Especially not after my last post... A little chipotle adds mainly two things: spiciness and smokiness. This can be great as a primary flavor (in, say, scrambled eggs, or a chili), but its utility extends beyond that. I add small quantities to pretty much everything: lentil soups, tomato sauces, frittatas, whatever. Lately I've just been incorporating it into my sofrito bases: most dishes I make at this time of year will start with onion and carrot being slowly cooked in some oil; try adding a little chipotle to the mix. The stuff I keep around is the type that is canned with adobo sauce. This summer I plan on smoking my own jalapenos and seeing how that goes.

  • Vinegar: sherry and cider
Acidity is a component of food that I believe people don't give enough thought to. Acidity is what gives food that brightness, that bite, that liveliness. And unless you're cooking with citrus or wine, there's probably not enough of it in your food. That's why I add a little vinegar to most things. My two favorites are sherry and cider, mostly for their versatility. I have no problem with balsamic, but because its flavor can easily overwhelm I tend to reserve it for very specific uses.

  • Soy sauce
Another element of food that isn't emphasized enough is umami. If you're cooking with a lot of meat or, say, seaweed, you don't really have to think about this too much. But if like me you cook mostly vegetarian, then the quest for umaminess is all important. Umami is that meaty, deep savory flavor that makes a dish so satisfying. Soy sauce will help you bring the umami. Of course you don't want everything to taste like soy sauce, but in small doses you won't overwhelm and the soy sauce will simply act as an umami giver. (Umami side note: fino sherry has also been scientifically proven to enhance the umami flavors of food, which is why it's so good with pretty much everything. Drink more fino!)

In pretty much any dish, be it a pasta sauce or a vegetable sauce, a little dash of any (or all!) of the above can add serious dimension to a dish.

There are a number of other ingredients that could be part of this list, like smoked paprika (you do know about pimenton, right?), but the ones above are the ones I'm currently infatuated with.

What are your secret ingredients you add to everything?

5 comments:

  1. I'm shifty on spices, but I do think every baked good (whether it's a cake or a flatbread or a full on whole-rye carraway bonanza) should have a dose of sourdough starter in it. The little yeasts keep it moist and fresh longer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ginger, cumin, a dash of cayenne and toasted sesame oil. Tofu, greens, and veggie stir fries always benefit! That was my dinner, and my roommate just commented on how good the place smells!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How jealous you make me. I brought a can of Embasa chipotle in adobo back to morocco - i learned this secret from you years ago- but i have only one can! impossible to use it in everything. Another good flavor adder i learned from you guys: beer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i put a dash of nutmeg and cinnamon in red sauces, definitely if the sauce includes red meat. This is especially good in chili. I also put red pepper flakes in most things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cardamom! It's great in granola, most cakes/cookies, biscuits, bread, french toast, and Indian curries (of course). I love the flavor in sweet and savory things alike.

    ReplyDelete